Mar 18, 2011

Weekend Recipe -- Thyme & Peppercorn Crackers

.10595
⤿ At the grocery store on Wednesday, I spotted a box of thyme and pepper crackers, and thought "that's my next recipe!". I looked up a recipe and stumbled upon one adapted from a Barefoot Contessa recipe. I adapted it a little more: I added lemon & peppercorns, used less parmesan and more thyme. I found that I'd used too much pepper and not enough thyme. If I had to do it differently, I would make it earlier when I didn't have to use artificial light and I would put fewer peppercorns in. 


✻ Thyme, peppercorn & lemon crackers ✻

Ingredients 

- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tsp grated Parmesan
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp mixed peppercorns
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- zest of one lemon, chopped or grated

Instructions 

.10542
.10537
⤿ In a bowl, mix butter until creamy.
⤿ Add parmesan, flour, salt, water, thyme, peppercorns and lemon zest, and mix on lowest speed. 
⤿ I used 2 teaspoons peppercorns and I'm not recommending it. Use less. I used almost 2 teaspoons thyme, but I would recommend using 3. 
⤿ On floured surface, take the mixture from the bowl and shape into a log. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
.10565
⤿ Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
⤿ Remove the dough from the fridge and place onto floured surface. Cut into thin slices. 
.10578
⤿ Place the crackers on parchment paper on cookie sheet and bake until lightly golden (20 minutes or so). 

I had one with a little homemade spinach pesto and that was a tasty combination. 

2 comments: