May 21, 2013

Gardening




We've been slowly converting the backyard into a vegetable garden where we grow chard, kale, lettuce, arugula, tomatoes, zucchini, strawberries, blueberries and hot peppers. I am most excited about the hot peppers and arugula, and Brent about the blueberries. So far, we've had to fight an all out war with the slugs that keep on eating our greens. The beer traps are partly working, and I spend a good chunk of time, most nights, out with a torch light looking for those nasty bastards. I hate having to kill them, but the rewards have been great: our arugula is in fine form and tastes really peppery and the kale is crunchy and delicious with a sesame tahini dressing. 

Green is a color that I struggle with in my post-processing work, so I've been practicing by taking more photos in which green is predominant. In the process, I've noticed that I like my green with some red added to it. Unfortunately, that brings out the magenta in the rest of the image. 

If you're wondering, the Rolleiflex was a loan from the shop and that first square image is an accidental double exposure that happened when I couldn't advance the film past the first frame. 


Top diptych: 
Mamiya M645 // Fuji Reala
Bottom three images: 
Rolleiflex 3.5F //Portra 400

5 comments:

  1. les images au rollei sont incroyables
    camera envy.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I'm so jealous of your garden. That's one of the main reasons why I want a house someday.

    The accidental double exposure happens to me sometimes with my Rollei, too. The weird part is that it's seemingly at random! So bizarre!

    Something funny-- I have a problem with greens, too, to the point that in my digital post-processing I have a tendency to reduce the saturation of them (and yellows, too, at times). What is it about the color we don't like so much? It ain't easy bein' green, was never more true. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your garden looks amazing! we are having some kind of pest problem too. i need to research it. i'm a bit worried my little patch doesn't get enough sun. anyway, i love this. you seem to really be in a groove lately, you're making so many killer images. so pretty over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Anne-SO !! Ca fait envie !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing - the garden and your photos! I am so jealous that you have a backyard to grow things in. Fresh, homegrown veggies sound like such a treat!

    ReplyDelete